A Deep Dive into Northside Baptist Church’s History
There is a much richer history than the brief account formerly published on Northside’s website—and one significant question that deserves further investigation.
The most important discovery: 1907 or 1912?
Northside’s current history page states that the congregation was founded in 1912 as Revolution Baptist Church. It also records that Revolution Mill provided the property with the condition that it continue to be used as a church.
However, a Greensboro newspaper report published in February 1950 said that the original Revolution Baptist Church had been organized in 1907. A Greensboro local-history article also gives 1907 as the founding year.
An official Greensboro city directory from 1913–1914 lists “Revolution Baptist Church, Revolution Mills,” providing solid independent evidence that the congregation was active by 1913.
Therefore:
Using the church’s official 1912 date, Northside is 114 years old in 2026.
Using the 1907 newspaper date, Northside is 119 years old in 2026.
A possible explanation is that ministry meetings or a mission began in 1907, while the congregation may have been formally constituted, chartered, affiliated, or placed on its property in 1912. That is only a theory until original church minutes, association records, or deeds are located.
Born in the Revolution Mill Village
Northside’s story began in one of Greensboro’s historic textile communities. In 1895, Moses and Caesar Cone purchased approximately 2,000 acres in northeast Greensboro. Around the Proximity, White Oak, and Revolution mills, the companies developed self-contained mill villages that included houses, stores, schools, YMCAs, and churches. The Revolution village extended north from the mill along Maple and Cypress Streets.
The Cone interests did more than permit churches to operate in their villages. A National Register of Historic Places report states that the Cones gave building lots to congregations, made substantial donations toward church construction, provided parsonages without charge, and contributed operating funds.
Northside’s own history records that Revolution Mill gave the church its property with a stipulation that it always remain a church. That particular deed condition still needs to be independently confirmed through Guilford County property records, but it is consistent with the Cone companies’ documented support of churches in their mill villages.
A 2013 local-history account reports that Revolution Baptist began with only twelve members—probably working families living within walking distance of the church. Although that article appears to have drawn from an older version of Northside’s history page, I have not yet found the original records identifying those twelve charter members.
The original church and the 1950 building
By the late 1940s, Revolution Baptist had apparently outgrown its original building. Construction on a larger church began on July 13, 1949, which was the birthday of the pastor, the Rev. Samuel Lee Riddle.
The new building stood at Cypress and Tenth Streets and cost approximately $84,000, a substantial investment at that time. It contained:
A sanctuary seating approximately 450 people
Thirty-three Sunday School classrooms
Plans for the later addition of a kitchen
The cornerstone was laid on February 25, 1950. Those participating included David Barbour, chairman of the deacons; C. Y. Phillips, superintendent of Revolution Mill; the Rev. S. L. Riddle, pastor; and S. E. Trogden, contractor. The participation of the mill superintendent demonstrates how closely the congregation and Revolution Mill community were still connected.
The congregation held its last services in the old building on February 26, 1950, and worshiped in the new building for the first time on March 5, 1950. A surviving family photograph collection includes images of the first building, the 1949 groundbreaking, the cornerstone ceremony, the completed 1950 church, and the first wedding held there in June 1950.
When Revolution Baptist became Northside Baptist
The church continued to be listed as Revolution Baptist Church, 2200 Cypress Street, in the 1957 Greensboro city directory.
By the 1959 directory, the same congregation at the same Cypress Street address was listed as Northside Baptist Church. This places the name change sometime between the publication of the 1957 and 1959 directories—most likely during 1958 or early 1959.
Directories from 1960, 1961, and 1962 continued to identify Northside Baptist Church at 2200 Cypress Street.
The reason for the new name has not yet been located in a surviving public source. “Northside” may have reflected the church’s location in what was then the northern portion of Greensboro, while also allowing the congregation to develop an identity broader than the mill itself. That explanation is reasonable but remains an inference rather than a documented fact.
Longtime members continued to remember the earlier identity. The obituary of Marjorie Newton Johnson, who served in the church’s music ministry for more than fifty years, said she joined when it was known as Revolution Baptist Church on Lineberry Hill and remained a member after it became Northside.
Historical timeline
1895: Moses and Caesar Cone purchased extensive acreage in northeast Greensboro, where mill complexes and supporting villages were developed.
1907 or 1912: Revolution Baptist Church was organized. The 1950 newspaper gives 1907; Northside’s current history gives 1912.
1913–1914: Revolution Baptist appears in the Greensboro city directory.
July 13, 1949: Construction began on the larger church building at Cypress and Tenth Streets.
February 25, 1950: The cornerstone of the new $84,000 building was laid.
March 5, 1950: The congregation held its first services in the new building.
1957–1959: The congregation changed its name from Revolution Baptist Church to Northside Baptist Church.
Present day: Northside continues serving from the historic Revolution community at 1100 East Cornwallis Drive, describing its mission as “Impacting the Revolution Mill Community for Christ.”
Historically careful website version
Northside Baptist Church has served northeast Greensboro for more than a century. Originally known as Revolution Baptist Church, the congregation was established in the mill village surrounding Revolution Cotton Mill. Northside’s church history identifies 1912 as its founding year, while a Greensboro newspaper account from 1950 reports that the church was organized in 1907. A Greensboro city directory confirms that Revolution Baptist Church was active at Revolution Mills by 1913. From its earliest days, the church provided mill workers and their families with a place to worship, hear the gospel, build relationships, and serve their neighbors.
In 1949, under the leadership of the Rev. Samuel Lee Riddle, construction began on a larger church building at Cypress and Tenth Streets. The cornerstone was laid on February 25, 1950, and the congregation worshiped in the new sanctuary for the first time on March 5. Between 1957 and 1959, Revolution Baptist Church became Northside Baptist Church. Although the mills and surrounding neighborhood have changed greatly, Northside remains rooted in the same community and committed to the same calling: proclaiming Jesus Christ, caring for people, strengthening families, and impacting the Revolution Mill community for Christ.
The exact founding year should probably be listed as “1907/1912—under further historical review” until the original minutes, charter, Piedmont Baptist Association annuals, or property documents can settle the question.

